Bridging units

Bridging units are units of study that cover skills in reading, writing and numeracy. If you are identified as needing support in any of these areas, bridging units will help you increase your skills to improve your chances of success in your qualification. Depending on your identified needs, you may need to enrol in a reading unit, writing unit, numeracy unit, or a combination of all three.
  • The Core Skills Profile for Adults (CSPA) is a tool designed to indicate reading, writing and numeracy skill levels. TAFE SA use this information to assess if you need to undertake bridging units to support you during your studies.

    You may be required to complete the CSPA:
    • if you have applied to study a qualification funded under subsidised training. Subsidised funding requires applicants to meet specific levels in the CSPA to be offered a position in a course. If you don’t meet the required levels, you could still receive an offer, but you will also need to undertake bridging units to support you in your studies; or
    • to be used as academic evidence if you are applying for a VET Student Loan - see providing your academic evidence.
    If you receive an offer, your counselling lecturer will discuss your bridging unit needs with you at your Information and Enrolment Event.
  • If you are required to undertake bridging unit classes, you will be provided with a full list of available classes and instructions for registering at your Information and Enrolment Event.

    Bridging unit classes can be attended online, or are available at selected campuses. All classes have a start date listed, however, registrations are open until the end of week 2 of the term. Bridging units do not have to be completed straight away but must be completed while you are studying your vocational qualification.

    If you register for online classes, you can complete a registration form at your Information and Enrolment Event or prior to the commencement of the class we will send you an email providing you with the class times and registration form to complete. If you register for on campus classes, we will send you an email confirming the class times and room details one week prior to the commencement of the class.
  • How long do bridging unit classes go for?

    Bridging unit classes are held once a week. The length of time that you need to attend will vary up to a maximum of 8 weeks, depending on your current level, the bridging units required and your ability to complete.

    When is it best to undertake bridging unit classes?

    You may not be required to commence bridging units straight away, however if you feel you need support and the qualification you are undertaking requires underpinning knowledge, it may be more suitable to commence bridging units in your first term or semester of study. Please speak with your counselling lecturer at your Information and Enrolment Event for advice.

    How much do bridging units cost?

    Bridging units are free if you are eligible for subsidised training.

    If I am a full fee paying student can I still undertake bridging units?

    No, but if you feel that you need support in reading, writing or numeracy, TAFE SA offer I improve short courses, covering the same content as bridging units.

    How do I change a bridging unit booking?

    If you have enrolled in bridging unit classes and need to change your registration, please contact the Student Engagement & Onboarding team on or 1800 882 661.
Back to Top